Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kate Rusby Performs at BBC2 Folk Awards.

At 17 I moved to England from Canada, and we settled in Penistone, Yorkshire, as my Mother was from Barnsley and it was her homesickness that prompted our move to England. I went off to college in Scarborough and fell in love with traditional folk music, and thus began my own singing career.

Later, I hear of Kate Rusby, an English folk singer and songwriter, and was so thrilled to hear she was from Penistone, South Yorkshire. Personal connections are always a great thing in the music world.
Sometimes known as The Barnsley Nightingale, Kate has headlined various British national folk festivals, and is regarded as one of the most famous English folk singers of contemporary times. In 2001 The Guardian described her as "a superstar of the British acoustic scene." In 2007 the BBC website described her as "The first lady of young folkies". She is one of the few folk singers to have been nominated for the Mercury Prize.
Feb 7th she was on the BBC 2 Radio Folk Awards. Here is a song from the show, My Dreams Have Withered and Died.

No comments: